The U.S. Department of Labor says drought and an unusually cold winter helped lead to an 8.4 percent jump in meat prices in April. One valley expert says eating healthier may be a way to keep more money in your wallet.
Scottsdale Healthcare Nutritionist Terri Taylor said finding other sources of protein can save your money and your health.
“One of the best examples would be some of your dried beans or dried peas,” said Taylor. “They are very high in soluble fiber, which is very helpful for lowering cholesterol levels and cancer risk. They have a lot of high quality protein in them, and they’re very economical.”
She suggested something cheap for breakfast.
“One of the things that is often on sale is Greek Yogurt,” said Taylor. “Put that with fruit, and you’ve got a cheaper, healthy start to your day.
Taylor said you can save on vegetables by heading to the frozen food aisle.
“You can buy frozen vegetables and fruit,” Taylor said. “They would retain their nutrients. When they pick those items, and freeze them, they save the nutrients that are in them, so they’re a good source.”
Taylor said that having a “vegetarian night” once or twice a week would save money. You’d be spending less on beef while having a healthier meal. She said that could save you money if you have fewer medical bills somewhere down the road.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments