The U.S. Department of Labor says drought and an unusually cold winter helped lead to an 8.4 percent jump in meat prices in April. One valley expert says eating healthier may be a way to keep more money in your wallet.
Scottsdale Healthcare Nutritionist Terri Taylor said finding other sources of protein can save your money and your health.
“One of the best examples would be some of your dried beans or dried peas,” said Taylor. “They are very high in soluble fiber, which is very helpful for lowering cholesterol levels and cancer risk. They have a lot of high quality protein in them, and they’re very economical.”
She suggested something cheap for breakfast.
“One of the things that is often on sale is Greek Yogurt,” said Taylor. “Put that with fruit, and you’ve got a cheaper, healthy start to your day.
Taylor said you can save on vegetables by heading to the frozen food aisle.
“You can buy frozen vegetables and fruit,” Taylor said. “They would retain their nutrients. When they pick those items, and freeze them, they save the nutrients that are in them, so they’re a good source.”
Taylor said that having a “vegetarian night” once or twice a week would save money. You’d be spending less on beef while having a healthier meal. She said that could save you money if you have fewer medical bills somewhere down the road.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon