The U.S. Department of Labor says drought and an unusually cold winter helped lead to an 8.4 percent jump in meat prices in April. One valley expert says eating healthier may be a way to keep more money in your wallet.
Scottsdale Healthcare Nutritionist Terri Taylor said finding other sources of protein can save your money and your health.
“One of the best examples would be some of your dried beans or dried peas,” said Taylor. “They are very high in soluble fiber, which is very helpful for lowering cholesterol levels and cancer risk. They have a lot of high quality protein in them, and they’re very economical.”
She suggested something cheap for breakfast.
“One of the things that is often on sale is Greek Yogurt,” said Taylor. “Put that with fruit, and you’ve got a cheaper, healthy start to your day.
Taylor said you can save on vegetables by heading to the frozen food aisle.
“You can buy frozen vegetables and fruit,” Taylor said. “They would retain their nutrients. When they pick those items, and freeze them, they save the nutrients that are in them, so they’re a good source.”
Taylor said that having a “vegetarian night” once or twice a week would save money. You’d be spending less on beef while having a healthier meal. She said that could save you money if you have fewer medical bills somewhere down the road.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck