SALT LAKE CITY — Recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows an interesting trend among teens. Analysts are saying a growing number of teenagers don’t want to have a summer job.
Marketwatch.com recently reported that out of the 11.4 million teens that are not in the workforce only 8.3 percent wanted to get a job, which is dramatically higher from a generation ago.
How do Utah’s teens compare to the rest of the country? Nic Dunn with the Department of Workforce Services said teens in the Beehive State have been doing better than the national average.
“We’re usually about 10 percent higher than the nation when it comes to teen participation in the economy,” he said. “That trend has been consistent from 2006 all the way to 2013.”
There are several possible reasons for this downturn. The faulty economy of the previous decade could be one reason.
Dunn says teens dropped out of the labor force at a faster rate than other groups during the recession, but he added teens bounce back at a higher rate when the economy improves.
However, even if teens aren’t working doesn’t mean they’re lazy. MarketWatch cited analysts with Challenger, Gray and Christmas as saying a lot more teens are in summer school, and others are doing extracurricular activities to enhance their college applications.
Dunn said if teens do want to find work, the DWS doors are open.
“We have workshops and classes that offer training and tips on how to prepare for an interview and how to come in a presentable and professional way,” he said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns