SALT LAKE CITY — Recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics shows an interesting trend among teens. Analysts are saying a growing number of teenagers don’t want to have a summer job.
Marketwatch.com recently reported that out of the 11.4 million teens that are not in the workforce only 8.3 percent wanted to get a job, which is dramatically higher from a generation ago.
How do Utah’s teens compare to the rest of the country? Nic Dunn with the Department of Workforce Services said teens in the Beehive State have been doing better than the national average.
“We’re usually about 10 percent higher than the nation when it comes to teen participation in the economy,” he said. “That trend has been consistent from 2006 all the way to 2013.”
There are several possible reasons for this downturn. The faulty economy of the previous decade could be one reason.
Dunn says teens dropped out of the labor force at a faster rate than other groups during the recession, but he added teens bounce back at a higher rate when the economy improves.
However, even if teens aren’t working doesn’t mean they’re lazy. MarketWatch cited analysts with Challenger, Gray and Christmas as saying a lot more teens are in summer school, and others are doing extracurricular activities to enhance their college applications.
Dunn said if teens do want to find work, the DWS doors are open.
“We have workshops and classes that offer training and tips on how to prepare for an interview and how to come in a presentable and professional way,” he said.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets