PHOENIX — An 11-year-old boy has died after becoming stuck in a backyard pool.
Phoenix Police Department Sgt. Steve Martos said Ivan Nunez, described as a good swimmer, entered the above-ground pool and attempted to remove the plastic cover.
The boy somehow became stuck, and his 10-year-old brother was unable to help before his 15-year-old brother was able to remove him from the pool. Nunez was flown to a nearby pediatrics hospital, where he later died.
Martos said the boy may have become entangled in the pool’s cover.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Ruben Saavedra said the incident took place near 107th Avenue and Buckeye at approximately 2:40 p.m..
Authorities are still investigating, but Saavedra said it appears to be an accident.
“It appears that the child was swimming back there with some siblings and some type of circumstances happened where the siblings went in and notified the adult — the stepfather — that something was going on,” he said. “The stepfather pulled him out of the pool, found him unresponsive and began the CPR.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night