PHOENIX — An 11-year-old boy has died after becoming stuck in a backyard pool.
Phoenix Police Department Sgt. Steve Martos said Ivan Nunez, described as a good swimmer, entered the above-ground pool and attempted to remove the plastic cover.
The boy somehow became stuck, and his 10-year-old brother was unable to help before his 15-year-old brother was able to remove him from the pool. Nunez was flown to a nearby pediatrics hospital, where he later died.
Martos said the boy may have become entangled in the pool’s cover.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Ruben Saavedra said the incident took place near 107th Avenue and Buckeye at approximately 2:40 p.m..
Authorities are still investigating, but Saavedra said it appears to be an accident.
“It appears that the child was swimming back there with some siblings and some type of circumstances happened where the siblings went in and notified the adult — the stepfather — that something was going on,” he said. “The stepfather pulled him out of the pool, found him unresponsive and began the CPR.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon