TEMPE, Ariz. — It was three years ago when Cory Hahn was paralyzed from the chest down during one of his first baseball games playing for Arizona State University.
Since that life-changing moment, Hahn was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2013 and continues efforts toward walking again. Hahn received his Bachelor of Arts in business Wednesday from the W.P. Carey School of Business at Wells Fargo Arena.
“When you come to a school that you love, you never want to leave, but at the same time I have great opportunities ahead of me,” Hahn said. “Everything that I’ve gone through at ASU is all coming back to me (this morning). It’s emotional.
“I suffered an injury that was a little tough to handle but coming back to school and graduating is very rewarding. Even though you suffer something catastrophic, you can still succeed.”
Hahn said he’s going to have a few days off before starting a job with the Diamondbacks.
“I’m not sure exactly yet what my role will be. We’re still ironing out details. I’m ready to help the organization any way that I can.”
His mother, Chris Hahn, said her son is tenacious and will accomplish everything that he sets out to do.
“I’ve already cried a couple of times,” she said. “As soon as I saw him this morning it was the culmination of what a parent strives for. I couldn’t be more proud of him. This is a special day.”
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain