PHOENIX — A financial-news site reported that Phoenix is the worst city in the country when it comes to saving money.
The Valley’s median rate of savings was zero, Interest.com said, meaning over 50 percent of households were in the hole. The average is minus $95.
The report said median-income homes should have nearly $700 a month left after bills were paid.
The numbers for “savings opportunity” were based on 2012 median incomes and expenditures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
“Many of us feel like we’re living paycheck-to-paycheck because of how we choose to spend our money,” Mike Sante, the site’s managing editor said in a press release. “It’s not that we can’t save. It’s that we don’t save. It’s something we can control and change.”
The best was Baltimore, which averaged a little over $2,000 in savings a month.
Also ranking low for savings were Detroit at $349 a month, San Diego ($344) and Boston ($240).
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development