PHOENIX — A financial-news site reported that Phoenix is the worst city in the country when it comes to saving money.
The Valley’s median rate of savings was zero, Interest.com said, meaning over 50 percent of households were in the hole. The average is minus $95.
The report said median-income homes should have nearly $700 a month left after bills were paid.
The numbers for “savings opportunity” were based on 2012 median incomes and expenditures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
“Many of us feel like we’re living paycheck-to-paycheck because of how we choose to spend our money,” Mike Sante, the site’s managing editor said in a press release. “It’s not that we can’t save. It’s that we don’t save. It’s something we can control and change.”
The best was Baltimore, which averaged a little over $2,000 in savings a month.
Also ranking low for savings were Detroit at $349 a month, San Diego ($344) and Boston ($240).
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier