PHOENIX — A financial-news site reported that Phoenix is the worst city in the country when it comes to saving money.
The Valley’s median rate of savings was zero, Interest.com said, meaning over 50 percent of households were in the hole. The average is minus $95.
The report said median-income homes should have nearly $700 a month left after bills were paid.
The numbers for “savings opportunity” were based on 2012 median incomes and expenditures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
“Many of us feel like we’re living paycheck-to-paycheck because of how we choose to spend our money,” Mike Sante, the site’s managing editor said in a press release. “It’s not that we can’t save. It’s that we don’t save. It’s something we can control and change.”
The best was Baltimore, which averaged a little over $2,000 in savings a month.
Also ranking low for savings were Detroit at $349 a month, San Diego ($344) and Boston ($240).
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains