AVONDALE, Ariz. — Many people have trouble looking for a job because they don’t have a computer or a way to get to a library to use one. So one Valley group has found a way to bring them some tools to help their search.
Donald Mitchell said he needs a job.
“(I want a job in) media, video production, audio production,” he said.
So he showed up Tuesday at an RV that had set up shop in an Avondale parking lot. It belongs to a group called St. Joseph the Worker.
“St. Joseph the Worker, for 25 years, has been helping homeless and low-income individuals obtain and maintain employment,” said Candace Sherwood, marketing coordinator for St. Joseph the Worker.
But the group realized there was an issue.
“In order to obtain our services, you had to come to us. For many people, that was a challenge,” Sherwood said.
About a year ago, the group came up with an idea, she said.
“Let’s go to them. Let’s take our services where there’s a greatest need,” said Sherwood.
With the help of a $200,000 grant from Bank of America, the nonprofit group was able to renovate a 39-foot-long 2003 Newmar Kountry RV. The staff calls it their “Mobile Success Unit.” It has four computers, Wi-Fi and open desk space for job seekers.
“Individuals can job search. They can apply online. We have a job developer that can sit down, look over their resume and make sure it’s well-crafted, and give them the tools and resources,” Sherwood said.
If someone gets a job interview, you’ll find tools on board the RV that can help them achieve success.
“You’ll find professional clothing, a razor, deodorant and a bus pass,” she said.
Mitchell said he is impressed by St. Joseph the Worker and its Mobile Success Unit.
“They’re good at what they do. They’re honest and they’re not ripping people off,” Mitchell said. “They’re not just taking social security numbers and names and making you promises. If you want a job, they will help you find a job.”
Mitchell hopes that happens to him, he added.
The RV is now hitting the road to help job seekers at 18 locations around the Valley. Click here for more information about St. Joseph the Worker and its mobile locations.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon