PHOENIX — The city of Surprise has broken ground on a state-of-the-art rehabilitation facility.
The new project is a partnership between the city of Surprise and Dallas-based Cobalt Medical Partners to bring a 50,000-square-foot facility to Bell and Dysart roads, specializing in the care of traumatic brain injury patients.
Surprise Mayor Sharon Wolcott said Cobalt has been working to locate such facilities near the town’s professional football and other sports stadiums.
“Because they know that a good deal of traumatic brain injury occurs in professional sports,” she said. “This is a facility that I think could be working very well with all the professional sports teams that we have in the West Valley.”
Wolcott said the facility is not just for athletes, though.
“This is an opportunity also for other traumatic brain injury patients to learn a little bit more about the West Valley and see what that West Valley has to offer,” Wolcott said.
The new facility will be able to house 40 patients and will create about 125 jobs, she said. It’s expected to be open by late 2014.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier