Friday marks the end of Arizona State University’s 2013-14 academic year, but it also will ring in the 30th anniversary of the university’s Hispanic Convocation.
According to ASU News, the ceremony will honor 350 students and include live mariachis and the original Hispanic Convocation committee, which will march in the procession.
The first Hispanic Convocation — held on May 12, 1984 — honored 49 students while being held off campus in the town of Guadalupe.
“It was an idea whose time had come. Across every community in Arizona, our Latino families were struggling to get our kids into higher levels of education,” said Greg Acedo, a student chair on the first Hispanic Convocation three decades ago. “The original student leaders who helped drive this event to fruition had no idea what a beautiful legacy and tradition would be created at our university.”
Two individual honors — the Congressman Ed Pastor Ostanding Graduate Student and the Jose Ronstadt Outstanding Undergraduate Student awards — highlight the ceremony. The two awards were first handed out together in 2007 to two individuals for their academic achievements.
Pastor and Ronstadt were involved with the creation of the first Hispanic Convocation, according to ASU News, and the two are slated to attend this year’s ceremony.
“ASU’s Hispanic Convocation has grown into a signature event that continues to inspire and support Latinos pursuing their higher education,” Pastor said. “I’ve been an ardent supporter of higher education and I’m proud to see the Hispanic Convocation thriving as it marks its 30th anniversary.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy