Friday marks the end of Arizona State University’s 2013-14 academic year, but it also will ring in the 30th anniversary of the university’s Hispanic Convocation.
According to ASU News, the ceremony will honor 350 students and include live mariachis and the original Hispanic Convocation committee, which will march in the procession.
The first Hispanic Convocation — held on May 12, 1984 — honored 49 students while being held off campus in the town of Guadalupe.
“It was an idea whose time had come. Across every community in Arizona, our Latino families were struggling to get our kids into higher levels of education,” said Greg Acedo, a student chair on the first Hispanic Convocation three decades ago. “The original student leaders who helped drive this event to fruition had no idea what a beautiful legacy and tradition would be created at our university.”
Two individual honors — the Congressman Ed Pastor Ostanding Graduate Student and the Jose Ronstadt Outstanding Undergraduate Student awards — highlight the ceremony. The two awards were first handed out together in 2007 to two individuals for their academic achievements.
Pastor and Ronstadt were involved with the creation of the first Hispanic Convocation, according to ASU News, and the two are slated to attend this year’s ceremony.
“ASU’s Hispanic Convocation has grown into a signature event that continues to inspire and support Latinos pursuing their higher education,” Pastor said. “I’ve been an ardent supporter of higher education and I’m proud to see the Hispanic Convocation thriving as it marks its 30th anniversary.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development