Friday marks the end of Arizona State University’s 2013-14 academic year, but it also will ring in the 30th anniversary of the university’s Hispanic Convocation.
According to ASU News, the ceremony will honor 350 students and include live mariachis and the original Hispanic Convocation committee, which will march in the procession.
The first Hispanic Convocation — held on May 12, 1984 — honored 49 students while being held off campus in the town of Guadalupe.
“It was an idea whose time had come. Across every community in Arizona, our Latino families were struggling to get our kids into higher levels of education,” said Greg Acedo, a student chair on the first Hispanic Convocation three decades ago. “The original student leaders who helped drive this event to fruition had no idea what a beautiful legacy and tradition would be created at our university.”
Two individual honors — the Congressman Ed Pastor Ostanding Graduate Student and the Jose Ronstadt Outstanding Undergraduate Student awards — highlight the ceremony. The two awards were first handed out together in 2007 to two individuals for their academic achievements.
Pastor and Ronstadt were involved with the creation of the first Hispanic Convocation, according to ASU News, and the two are slated to attend this year’s ceremony.
“ASU’s Hispanic Convocation has grown into a signature event that continues to inspire and support Latinos pursuing their higher education,” Pastor said. “I’ve been an ardent supporter of higher education and I’m proud to see the Hispanic Convocation thriving as it marks its 30th anniversary.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier