If you come across someone in Arizona who doesn’t speak either English or Spanish, chances are they’re going to speak Navajo, according to recent census data.
The news media company Slate used the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey to analyze the most common languages in each state, generating the data into a handful of maps.
One map shows the most commonly spoken language in each state other than English, and Spanish dominated this category, including in Arizona.
Since Spanish was the answer for almost every state, Slate filtered out English and Spanish the see the next most popular language in each state. Navajo came up as the third-most popular language in Arizona. New Mexico was the only other state to boast Navajo on this particular map.
Another graphic showed the most commonly spoken Native American language by state, and Arizona’s answer was, of course, Navajo — which was dominant in all of the other southwestern states, as well.
According to the census, there are more speakers of Navajo in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona than there are speakers of other Native American languages in all other states combined.
Slate even looked at the most commonly spoken Scandinavian, Indo-Aryan and African languages spoken by state, and Arizona’s answer for those were — respectively — Danish, Hindi and a three-way tie between Kru, Ibo and Yoruba.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development