If you come across someone in Arizona who doesn’t speak either English or Spanish, chances are they’re going to speak Navajo, according to recent census data.
The news media company Slate used the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey to analyze the most common languages in each state, generating the data into a handful of maps.
One map shows the most commonly spoken language in each state other than English, and Spanish dominated this category, including in Arizona.
Since Spanish was the answer for almost every state, Slate filtered out English and Spanish the see the next most popular language in each state. Navajo came up as the third-most popular language in Arizona. New Mexico was the only other state to boast Navajo on this particular map.
Another graphic showed the most commonly spoken Native American language by state, and Arizona’s answer was, of course, Navajo — which was dominant in all of the other southwestern states, as well.
According to the census, there are more speakers of Navajo in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona than there are speakers of other Native American languages in all other states combined.
Slate even looked at the most commonly spoken Scandinavian, Indo-Aryan and African languages spoken by state, and Arizona’s answer for those were — respectively — Danish, Hindi and a three-way tie between Kru, Ibo and Yoruba.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered