PHOENIX — For the first time ever in the U.S., Goodwill and the Salvation Army are teaming up on a project.
And they’re are doing so right here in Phoenix.
The two charities have teamed up for a new place where the unemployed can look for a job in downtown Phoenix.
“The Salvation Army is providing the place for Goodwill to come in and find people jobs,” said Salvation Army Major John Brackenbury.
Goodwill has opened a new career services center inside the Salvation Army’s Warren Ledbetter Service Center at 27th and Washington streets.
Brackenbury said that it’s the perfect spot for such a resource.
“Our family shelter is directly across the street,” said Brackenbury. “We’re right off of the light rail, so men and women who are in this community can come in, and we’re close by several other agencies that are in this community and can come and take advantage of this.”
The center features 11 computer workstations where people can search for a job. It also will have Goodwill staff members who can help job seekers with their resumes and their interviewing skills.
This is Goodwill’s 20th career center in the Phoenix area, but it is the only one that involves the Salvation Army.
Goodwill Central Arizona CEO Jim Teter said thousands of people used Goodwill’s career centers to look for work last year.
“The really good news is that 23,500 of them actually got jobs in the community after they received services from Goodwill,” said Teter. “The economic impact for Arizona was over $790 million.”
This new career center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food