PHOENIX — A group of Valley religious and law enforcement leaders gathered Tuesday to ask Congress to act immediately on immigration reform as the nation’s economy continues to suffer.
“We need a system that can meet the demands of our growing economy,” said Todd Sanders with the Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce. “Voters are sending the signal that it’s time to pass meaningful immigration reform.”
Last year, the Senate passed an immigration bill pushed by Arizona Sens. John Mccain and Jeff Flake, but House Speaker John Boehner hasn’t allowed members to vote it. The bill would secure the border and offers a pathway to citizenship.
“The Bible is filled with immigrants — all people are created equal in the image of God,” said Tom Parker with Fuller Seminary. “We see this as an important issure as a matter of gospel. We can continue to be a light-bearing country, a country that stands out for how we treat others.”
Tuesday’s meeting was part of a press conferences across five states calling for immigration reform. The organization released a joint letter to Congress, calling on lawmakers to move on immigration reform or the country and state economies will continue to struggle.
“From an economic prospective, it is absolutely essential we pass immigration reform,” said James Lundy with Alliance Bank of Arizona. “The future growth of our economy comes down to civil demographics.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon