PHOENIX — Food on wheels may soon become more common in one East Valley city.
The city of Tempe is looking to change how it regulates food trucks by making it easier for vendors to operate on public streets and public property, including city parks, Tempe Public Library and around Tempe City Hall.
“Right now, the city code that affects the food trucks is an old code that was created for the ice cream trucks of the ’70s and other mobile vendors,” said Amanda Nelson with the City of Tempe. “Things have changed a lot since then. Food trucks have come a long way.”
If these changes are passed by the city council, Nelson said food trucks will be able to operate on private property, just like they do now.
“(Vendors) would also have to be fingerprint-checked. They would have to have a mobile vendor license and a sales tax license,” Nelson added. “It just creates checks and balances.”
Tempe does not currently have a process to allow food truck vendors on public property. The city is asking how the community feels about the proposed changes and how they would like to see food trucks operate in Tempe with an online survey.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy