PHOENIX — For one northern Arizona mayor, water restrictions are just par for the course.
“We live in the southwest. We know what it is to be short on water and all of our folks that live here know what it’s like to be short on water,” Mayor John Moore told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac and Gaydos on Monday.
Moore leads Williams, Ariz., a town near the Grand Canyon, that is in full-on drought mode.
Restaurant patrons no longer get served an automatic glass of water and residents cannot use their hoses.
“We’ve put what we call Number 4 restrictions, which are probably the most severe we have,” he said. “You can’t water your lawns, you can’t use any excess water and we ask people to conserve their water. If you don’t need it, don’t use it.”
Even water for swimming pools has to be purchased and transported from outside Williams.
Moore said the last time he saw a water restriction this severe was 10 to 15 years ago but he said he residents are handling the situation very well.
“We don’t anticipate nor have we had many people violate the ordinances,” said Moore.
The City of Williams is currently working on installing two wells, but they are not yet able to take the next step.
“We’ve had a company doing research and we haven’t gotten the report back yet. We expect that in later this week or next week, probably,” he explained. “We also have an existing well that we’re going to start pumping water out of in a couple weeks to determine how much water is usable water.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident