PHOENIX — For one northern Arizona mayor, water restrictions are just par for the course.
“We live in the southwest. We know what it is to be short on water and all of our folks that live here know what it’s like to be short on water,” Mayor John Moore told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac and Gaydos on Monday.
Moore leads Williams, Ariz., a town near the Grand Canyon, that is in full-on drought mode.
Restaurant patrons no longer get served an automatic glass of water and residents cannot use their hoses.
“We’ve put what we call Number 4 restrictions, which are probably the most severe we have,” he said. “You can’t water your lawns, you can’t use any excess water and we ask people to conserve their water. If you don’t need it, don’t use it.”
Even water for swimming pools has to be purchased and transported from outside Williams.
Moore said the last time he saw a water restriction this severe was 10 to 15 years ago but he said he residents are handling the situation very well.
“We don’t anticipate nor have we had many people violate the ordinances,” said Moore.
The City of Williams is currently working on installing two wells, but they are not yet able to take the next step.
“We’ve had a company doing research and we haven’t gotten the report back yet. We expect that in later this week or next week, probably,” he explained. “We also have an existing well that we’re going to start pumping water out of in a couple weeks to determine how much water is usable water.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona