PHOENIX — Visitors who use downtown Phoenix parking meters could soon pay more — or possibly less — depending on the day and time.
During Tuesday’s meeting of the Transportation and Infrastructure Subcommittee, Acting Street Transportation Director Ray Dovalina will share details about potential changes to the parking meter system.
“What we’re looking at is doing some zones where we would have a sports venue zone, a central business core zone and a government zone,” he said. “Basically, the area we’re looking at is Seventh Avenue to Seventh Street and from Lincoln Street to Fillmore.”
The zones could change from a flat $1.50 an hour rate to a variable pricing plan where the city could adjust rates from $0.50 to $6.00 per hour, based on demand. The city is also considering extending enforcement hours beyond the current 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on weekdays.
Based on their research of other cities, Dovalina says Phoenix has the shortest enforcement hours and the $1.50 rate is on the low end. According to a city council report, the Street Transportation Department collected about $1.65 million in parking meter payments during the 2012-2013 fiscal year, which resulted in $1 million in net revenue. Based on preliminary estimates, the department thinks a variable rate plan and longer enforcement could generate an extra $1-2 million a year.
Expansion would require as many as 640 new meters that could accept credit cards and adjust to rate changes, four new workers to enforce longer hours and one manager to oversee the program.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas