PHOENIX — Cynthia Reed’s road to business success began after she finished her service with the U.S. Army and had her first child.
She wanted a better work-life balance so she quit her corporate job, turned a bedroom into an office and started a one-woman consulting firm.
“Most people did roll their eyes at me and they thought I was a big dreamer and I was,” she laughed, “And it’s worked out quite well.”
Today, the president and CEO of Mesa-based Miracorp oversees more than 120 people who provide administrative and management services to the federal government. In naming Reed as Arizona’s Small Business Person of the Year, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) said Reed represents well the man small business owners who are risk takers and innovators.
“There’s nobody out there in the small business world that doesn’t give it ridiculous hours and effort and think of it in their sleep,” said Reed.
Community commitment is also important to Reed. Among other things, she provides diapers and car seats to new mothers as they leave the Veterans Administration Hospital in Phoenix and supports a basketball program for teenagers living in group homes.
Reed’s recognition comes during National Small Business Week. The SBA said small businesses create nearly two out of three jobs in our economy.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night