PHOENIX — Cynthia Reed’s road to business success began after she finished her service with the U.S. Army and had her first child.
She wanted a better work-life balance so she quit her corporate job, turned a bedroom into an office and started a one-woman consulting firm.
“Most people did roll their eyes at me and they thought I was a big dreamer and I was,” she laughed, “And it’s worked out quite well.”
Today, the president and CEO of Mesa-based Miracorp oversees more than 120 people who provide administrative and management services to the federal government. In naming Reed as Arizona’s Small Business Person of the Year, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) said Reed represents well the man small business owners who are risk takers and innovators.
“There’s nobody out there in the small business world that doesn’t give it ridiculous hours and effort and think of it in their sleep,” said Reed.
Community commitment is also important to Reed. Among other things, she provides diapers and car seats to new mothers as they leave the Veterans Administration Hospital in Phoenix and supports a basketball program for teenagers living in group homes.
Reed’s recognition comes during National Small Business Week. The SBA said small businesses create nearly two out of three jobs in our economy.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.