PHOENIX — Cynthia Reed’s road to business success began after she finished her service with the U.S. Army and had her first child.
She wanted a better work-life balance so she quit her corporate job, turned a bedroom into an office and started a one-woman consulting firm.
“Most people did roll their eyes at me and they thought I was a big dreamer and I was,” she laughed, “And it’s worked out quite well.”
Today, the president and CEO of Mesa-based Miracorp oversees more than 120 people who provide administrative and management services to the federal government. In naming Reed as Arizona’s Small Business Person of the Year, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) said Reed represents well the man small business owners who are risk takers and innovators.
“There’s nobody out there in the small business world that doesn’t give it ridiculous hours and effort and think of it in their sleep,” said Reed.
Community commitment is also important to Reed. Among other things, she provides diapers and car seats to new mothers as they leave the Veterans Administration Hospital in Phoenix and supports a basketball program for teenagers living in group homes.
Reed’s recognition comes during National Small Business Week. The SBA said small businesses create nearly two out of three jobs in our economy.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development