PHOENIX — After a weekend of strong winds, the Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department has banned open fires in city mountain and desert preserves.
Smoking outside of an enclosed vehicle and charcoal fires are also prohibited because of the extreme fire danger.
Propane or gas grills may be used but only in established picnic areas.
The ban applies to Camelback Mountain; Papago Park; all areas of the Phoenix Mountains; South Mountain Park/Preserve; North Mountain and surrounding areas; the Sonoran Preserve; and the Deem Hills area.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs said these areas are rugged and difficult for firefighters to reach, which iswhy people need to be careful with fire.
“There are trails all over the place. One of our big concerns is that somebody becomes trapped with no escape route to get out. And there are also homes inside of these areas,” Jacobs said.
Residents whose property borders the preserves should remove dry shrubs, brush and grasses and trim dead branches from trees within the 10-foot strip of preserve bordering their property. By creating this buffer zone, residents can help to protect their homes from brush fires.
The ban does not apply to traditional city parks.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns