PHOENIX — After a weekend of strong winds, the Phoenix Parks and Recreation Department has banned open fires in city mountain and desert preserves.
Smoking outside of an enclosed vehicle and charcoal fires are also prohibited because of the extreme fire danger.
Propane or gas grills may be used but only in established picnic areas.
The ban applies to Camelback Mountain; Papago Park; all areas of the Phoenix Mountains; South Mountain Park/Preserve; North Mountain and surrounding areas; the Sonoran Preserve; and the Deem Hills area.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Jonathan Jacobs said these areas are rugged and difficult for firefighters to reach, which iswhy people need to be careful with fire.
“There are trails all over the place. One of our big concerns is that somebody becomes trapped with no escape route to get out. And there are also homes inside of these areas,” Jacobs said.
Residents whose property borders the preserves should remove dry shrubs, brush and grasses and trim dead branches from trees within the 10-foot strip of preserve bordering their property. By creating this buffer zone, residents can help to protect their homes from brush fires.
The ban does not apply to traditional city parks.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night