PHOENIX — A Mesa police officer and an unidentified driver were killed in a fiery wrong-way car accident early Monday morning in Tempe.
A Mesa Police spokesman said Officer Brandon Mendoza, 32, was on his way home around 12:30 a.m. when the accident occurred on westbound U.S. 60 and Interstate 10. The Department of Public Safety is investigating.
Family and friends of Mendoza gathered at the Maricopa Medical Center burn unit near 26th and Roosevelt streets in Phoenix, where the victims were taken.
Authorities said the wrong-way driver had been driving against traffic all the way back at the Loop 101 near Cactus Road and on State Route 51 before reaching I-10.
Several other drivers called DPS to report the wrong-way driving.
DPS had tried to ram the driver’s SUV while he was still on the Piestewa Freeway near Thomas Road but he managed to evade officers.
Mesa police released a statement, which in part read:
“We are saddened beyond words to report that one of our officers was hit and killed this morning by a wrong way driver. The officer had completed their shift and was on their way home.”
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes