PHOENIX — A Mesa police officer and an unidentified driver were killed in a fiery wrong-way car accident early Monday morning in Tempe.
A Mesa Police spokesman said Officer Brandon Mendoza, 32, was on his way home around 12:30 a.m. when the accident occurred on westbound U.S. 60 and Interstate 10. The Department of Public Safety is investigating.
Family and friends of Mendoza gathered at the Maricopa Medical Center burn unit near 26th and Roosevelt streets in Phoenix, where the victims were taken.
Authorities said the wrong-way driver had been driving against traffic all the way back at the Loop 101 near Cactus Road and on State Route 51 before reaching I-10.
Several other drivers called DPS to report the wrong-way driving.
DPS had tried to ram the driver’s SUV while he was still on the Piestewa Freeway near Thomas Road but he managed to evade officers.
Mesa police released a statement, which in part read:
“We are saddened beyond words to report that one of our officers was hit and killed this morning by a wrong way driver. The officer had completed their shift and was on their way home.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon