PHOENIX — A Mesa police officer and an unidentified driver were killed in a fiery wrong-way car accident early Monday morning in Tempe.
A Mesa Police spokesman said Officer Brandon Mendoza, 32, was on his way home around 12:30 a.m. when the accident occurred on westbound U.S. 60 and Interstate 10. The Department of Public Safety is investigating.
Family and friends of Mendoza gathered at the Maricopa Medical Center burn unit near 26th and Roosevelt streets in Phoenix, where the victims were taken.
Authorities said the wrong-way driver had been driving against traffic all the way back at the Loop 101 near Cactus Road and on State Route 51 before reaching I-10.
Several other drivers called DPS to report the wrong-way driving.
DPS had tried to ram the driver’s SUV while he was still on the Piestewa Freeway near Thomas Road but he managed to evade officers.
Mesa police released a statement, which in part read:
“We are saddened beyond words to report that one of our officers was hit and killed this morning by a wrong way driver. The officer had completed their shift and was on their way home.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier