PHOENIX — The longest untried murder in the history of Arizona is finally getting underway.
Jury selection will begin Monday in the murder trial of Bryan Wayne Hulsey, who is believed to be responsible for the 2007 killing of Glendale Police Officer Anthony Holly.
The road to get to trial has been such a long one because of issues with Hulsey’s defense, according to KTAR’s legal analyst Monica Lindstrom.
“There have been probably four or five changes in defense counsel from the beginning of the case to (now),” Lindstrom said.
The turnover in counsel has in effect forced each new defense team to start from the beginning in preparing Hulsey’s case.
Lindstrom said statements and interviews recorded years ago will play an important role in the strength of witness testimonies.
“I doubt that there will be any issues with the physical evidence,” Lindstrom said. “There could be some issues with witness testimony, because we all know that your memory starts to fade after time.”
Holly was shot and killed during a traffic stop on Feb. 19, 2007, as he came to back up another officer during the stop. While removing occupants from the vehicle, Holly was shot after one man, believed to be Hulsey, removed a gun from his waistband.
Holly was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix, where he was pronounced dead.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.