PHOENIX — The longest untried murder in the history of Arizona is finally getting underway.
Jury selection will begin Monday in the murder trial of Bryan Wayne Hulsey, who is believed to be responsible for the 2007 killing of Glendale Police Officer Anthony Holly.
The road to get to trial has been such a long one because of issues with Hulsey’s defense, according to KTAR’s legal analyst Monica Lindstrom.
“There have been probably four or five changes in defense counsel from the beginning of the case to (now),” Lindstrom said.
The turnover in counsel has in effect forced each new defense team to start from the beginning in preparing Hulsey’s case.
Lindstrom said statements and interviews recorded years ago will play an important role in the strength of witness testimonies.
“I doubt that there will be any issues with the physical evidence,” Lindstrom said. “There could be some issues with witness testimony, because we all know that your memory starts to fade after time.”
Holly was shot and killed during a traffic stop on Feb. 19, 2007, as he came to back up another officer during the stop. While removing occupants from the vehicle, Holly was shot after one man, believed to be Hulsey, removed a gun from his waistband.
Holly was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix, where he was pronounced dead.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night