PHOENIX — An Eloy, Ariz., man is dead after being shot by an officer outside his home whom he thought was an intruder.
KTVK 3 TV reports Victor Arenas, 25, went outside with a gun around 4 a.m. Sunday to check on a possible intruder, Arenas’ family said.
Arenas’ brother said Victor heard a noise and asked who was there, and the officer, Richard Timmes, did not identify himself.
Gunshots then rang out, according to the family, and Arenas ran back inside and fell on the kitchen floor. His brother then attempted CPR.
Eloy police said Timmes was not injured and was investigating a burglary call in the area after a business alarm went off.
In a Tuesday release, police said Timmes shined his flashlight on a man, believed to be Arenas, who cursed at him. Arenas then allegedly pulled out a handgun and fired at Timmes, who returned fire.
Police said Timmes was wearing a body-mounted camera at the time.
Arenas leaves behind two daughters, ages 5 and 4, his family said.
KTVK says the Eloy Police Department and Pinal County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the shooting.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon