PHOENIX — An Eloy, Ariz., man is dead after being shot by an officer outside his home whom he thought was an intruder.
KTVK 3 TV reports Victor Arenas, 25, went outside with a gun around 4 a.m. Sunday to check on a possible intruder, Arenas’ family said.
Arenas’ brother said Victor heard a noise and asked who was there, and the officer, Richard Timmes, did not identify himself.
Gunshots then rang out, according to the family, and Arenas ran back inside and fell on the kitchen floor. His brother then attempted CPR.
Eloy police said Timmes was not injured and was investigating a burglary call in the area after a business alarm went off.
In a Tuesday release, police said Timmes shined his flashlight on a man, believed to be Arenas, who cursed at him. Arenas then allegedly pulled out a handgun and fired at Timmes, who returned fire.
Police said Timmes was wearing a body-mounted camera at the time.
Arenas leaves behind two daughters, ages 5 and 4, his family said.
KTVK says the Eloy Police Department and Pinal County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the shooting.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments