PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Health Services is set to kick off a water drive and social media campaign this week to encourage Arizonans to stay safe and hydrated during the hot summer months.
The ADHS said that heat killed 139 people in Arizona in 2013. Additionally, 526 people were admitted into hospitals because of the heat, and 2,242 were treated in emergency departments across the state last year. Nearly half (1,102) of those heat-related ER visits were individuals between the ages of 15 and 44, the health department said.
Citing its report on the effects of heat exposure in Arizona, the ADHS said that an average of 118 people have died each year since 2000 because of excessive heat.
The health department is encouraging residents to donate water at one of several locations in the Valley or to hold water drives at their workplaces.
“Excessive heat in our desert climate climbs to the top of public health priorities every summer. We want to make sure people continue being active, but that they have to be smart about it,” said ADHS Director Will Humble in a press release.
The ADHS’ campaign this month will mark the fourth year in a row it has held a water drive. The department said its employees have donated almost 200,000 bottles of water in the past three years to people in need all over the state.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development