PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Health Services is set to kick off a water drive and social media campaign this week to encourage Arizonans to stay safe and hydrated during the hot summer months.
The ADHS said that heat killed 139 people in Arizona in 2013. Additionally, 526 people were admitted into hospitals because of the heat, and 2,242 were treated in emergency departments across the state last year. Nearly half (1,102) of those heat-related ER visits were individuals between the ages of 15 and 44, the health department said.
Citing its report on the effects of heat exposure in Arizona, the ADHS said that an average of 118 people have died each year since 2000 because of excessive heat.
The health department is encouraging residents to donate water at one of several locations in the Valley or to hold water drives at their workplaces.
“Excessive heat in our desert climate climbs to the top of public health priorities every summer. We want to make sure people continue being active, but that they have to be smart about it,” said ADHS Director Will Humble in a press release.
The ADHS’ campaign this month will mark the fourth year in a row it has held a water drive. The department said its employees have donated almost 200,000 bottles of water in the past three years to people in need all over the state.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck