The Social Security Administration on Friday released the top 10 baby names for boys and girls in 2013, but one news outlet had some fun with the rest of the data.
The San Jose Mercury News decided to look at the names at the bottom of the list, and the news organization came up with some pretty interesting finds.
The SSA only released names that had been chosen at least five times over the course of the year. Some of the less-popular monikers are quite comical, if not head-scratching. You’ll find the names of a former NBA player and a Sylvester Stallone character among the boys, and West Coast cities and oddly-spelled monikers for the girls.
Below are some of the eye-catching entries near the bottom of the list. Keep in mind that at least five children were given the following names in order to be listed by the SSA.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development