PHOENIX — The average cost to own and operate a sedan is down nearly 3 percent from last year, according to AAA.
That means it costs about $8,876 per year to drive your car, which translates to $250 less than last year. That estimation is based on 15,000 miles of driving.
Michelle Donati with AAA Arizona said there are several factors for the first decline in nearly four years, including lower gas prices.
“When you look at 2013 as a whole and how we’ve been trending in 2014, gas prices are about 10 percent lower,” she said.
Tire prices have also dropped 3 percent from last year, while depreciation decreased from $3,571 last year to $3,510 in 2014.
Donati said insurance rates are also lower than a year ago.
“For the purpose of this study, we used a driver with a clean driving record, driving a small-to-midsize sedan,” she said. “And for this driver, insurance costs were down about 0.6 percent from last year.”
Only maintenance costs have risen this year, up about 2 percent over 2013.
Drivers of SUVs and minivans are also seeing savings of $560 and $42, respectively, from last year to 2014.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments