PHOENIX — The land of opportunity appears to be turning into a wasteland for entrepreneurship.
According to the Brookings Institution, business dynamism plummeted in all 50 states and all but one of the 366 metro areas in the country during from 1978-2011. Only McAllen, Texas, has had more new businesses open than close.
Brookings defines business dynamism as “the process by which firms continually are born, fail, expand, and contract, as some jobs are created, others are destroyed, and others still are turned over”.
In Arizona, more than twice as many businesses have shut down than opened their doors during that time period. Robert Litan with Brookings said his research group doesn’t have a definitive answer as to why this is happening, but he does have a few theories.
“One may be that society is becoming more sclerotic (not being able to adapt). Big firms may be coming bigger. There may be more regulation that may be deterring new firms from forming,” he said.
While he doesn’t know of a definitive reason, Litan said he has the perfect solution for America to start churning out entrepreneurs once again: Immigration.
“Greatly liberalize our immigration laws to let in high-skilled immigrants — people who come here to study to get master’s and PhD’s in the so-called tech areas,” he said. “(Another solutions is) to let in foreign entrepreneurs.”
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick