PHOENIX — The land of opportunity appears to be turning into a wasteland for entrepreneurship.
According to the Brookings Institution, business dynamism plummeted in all 50 states and all but one of the 366 metro areas in the country during from 1978-2011. Only McAllen, Texas, has had more new businesses open than close.
Brookings defines business dynamism as “the process by which firms continually are born, fail, expand, and contract, as some jobs are created, others are destroyed, and others still are turned over”.
In Arizona, more than twice as many businesses have shut down than opened their doors during that time period. Robert Litan with Brookings said his research group doesn’t have a definitive answer as to why this is happening, but he does have a few theories.
“One may be that society is becoming more sclerotic (not being able to adapt). Big firms may be coming bigger. There may be more regulation that may be deterring new firms from forming,” he said.
While he doesn’t know of a definitive reason, Litan said he has the perfect solution for America to start churning out entrepreneurs once again: Immigration.
“Greatly liberalize our immigration laws to let in high-skilled immigrants — people who come here to study to get master’s and PhD’s in the so-called tech areas,” he said. “(Another solutions is) to let in foreign entrepreneurs.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.