PHOENIX — Union leaders hope to let voters decide if Phoenix police officers should be forced to take a pay cut.
The intention is to place a referendum on the ballot, a move which is expected to draw opposition from city leaders
“The arbitrator, after two days of painstaking analysis of the city’s budget, after hearing from the city’s fiscal team, found that the city does have the ability to pay,” said PLEA President Joe Clure. “This is about principle.”
Clure stated in a news release that during negotiations two years ago, the process called for an independent fact-finder to review the city’s financial state. The arbitrator ruled the city was not in a position financially to increase officer’s pay, which would cover concession made years prior. The city urged PLEA leaders to honor the process, which they did.
“PLEA is calling for the city to honor the process,” said Clure. “The city council, as you know, has refused, disrespecting the same process they insisted PLEA respect two years ago. ”
In a news conference, union leaders were joined by city councilmen Michael Nowakowski and Sal DiCiccio. Both voted against the cuts during a heated council meeting earlier this week. Both men accuse Mayor Greg Stanton of avoiding transparency, of poor leadership and mismanagement.
The councilmen further allege that the mayor has been told that there are other options for balancing the budget, which he has systematically ignored. Some of the options that have been presented to the mayor, according to DiCiccio, include reducing or eliminating the travel budget, public relations budget, lobbying budget or selling city property.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets