Maricopa County and Arizona State University are teaming up to give students a unique opportunity to intern for the county.
About 11 or 12 students will be selected as part of the Maricopa County Leadership and Education Advancing Public Service program starting in the fall.
They’ll get hands-on experience all semester in the departments of air quality, the treasurer’s office and human resources, among others.
“This isn’t about getting coffee or making copies for the boss,” said Maricopa County Assistant Manager MaryEllen Sheppard. “If you’re committing to doing this, this is providing real educational opportunities.”
Perhaps the most attractive part of the program is what those selected won’t have to do. “ASU is going to waive all tuition and fees,” said Sheppard. “Maricopa County will be providing them with a stipend of $4,700, and they get 12 hours of academic credit.”
Only ASU students are eligible but that could change. Sheppard also said the focus is on juniors, seniors and graduates.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy