Maricopa County and Arizona State University are teaming up to give students a unique opportunity to intern for the county.
About 11 or 12 students will be selected as part of the Maricopa County Leadership and Education Advancing Public Service program starting in the fall.
They’ll get hands-on experience all semester in the departments of air quality, the treasurer’s office and human resources, among others.
“This isn’t about getting coffee or making copies for the boss,” said Maricopa County Assistant Manager MaryEllen Sheppard. “If you’re committing to doing this, this is providing real educational opportunities.”
Perhaps the most attractive part of the program is what those selected won’t have to do. “ASU is going to waive all tuition and fees,” said Sheppard. “Maricopa County will be providing them with a stipend of $4,700, and they get 12 hours of academic credit.”
Only ASU students are eligible but that could change. Sheppard also said the focus is on juniors, seniors and graduates.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths