PHOENIX — The long vacant Hotel Monroe will soon be living up to its name as a hotel as the building’s new owners anticipate a massive renovation project to be completed just in time for next year’s Super Bowl.
The Hotel Monroe has sat vacant for years on Monroe Avenue between Central Avenue and First Street and was recently purchased by CSM Corp., with the goal of turning the building into a Hilton Garden Inn.
Kate Burda, vice president of sales and marketing for CSM Corp., said they decided the Hilton Garden Inn brand would be a good fit for the 1930s art-deco building.
“(It’s) more extravagant than your mid-priced hotels, but yet still deliver a price that is attractive to travelers coming in,”
CSM Corp. will spend about $40 million to renovate the building, but Burda said the company seeks to keep the same historic aesthetic while still offering a hotel up to date with modern standards.
“Bringing forward that historic feel (that) you’re in a historic place, yet having a very design forward feel to it,” said Burda.
A previous attempt to make what was originally the Professional Building, which housed Valley National Bank for many years, into a hotel failed when the lending company Mortgages Ltd. went out of business in 2008.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon