PHOENIX — The long vacant Hotel Monroe will soon be living up to its name as a hotel as the building’s new owners anticipate a massive renovation project to be completed just in time for next year’s Super Bowl.
The Hotel Monroe has sat vacant for years on Monroe Avenue between Central Avenue and First Street and was recently purchased by CSM Corp., with the goal of turning the building into a Hilton Garden Inn.
Kate Burda, vice president of sales and marketing for CSM Corp., said they decided the Hilton Garden Inn brand would be a good fit for the 1930s art-deco building.
“(It’s) more extravagant than your mid-priced hotels, but yet still deliver a price that is attractive to travelers coming in,”
CSM Corp. will spend about $40 million to renovate the building, but Burda said the company seeks to keep the same historic aesthetic while still offering a hotel up to date with modern standards.
“Bringing forward that historic feel (that) you’re in a historic place, yet having a very design forward feel to it,” said Burda.
A previous attempt to make what was originally the Professional Building, which housed Valley National Bank for many years, into a hotel failed when the lending company Mortgages Ltd. went out of business in 2008.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains