PHOENIX — The long vacant Hotel Monroe will soon be living up to its name as a hotel as the building’s new owners anticipate a massive renovation project to be completed just in time for next year’s Super Bowl.
The Hotel Monroe has sat vacant for years on Monroe Avenue between Central Avenue and First Street and was recently purchased by CSM Corp., with the goal of turning the building into a Hilton Garden Inn.
Kate Burda, vice president of sales and marketing for CSM Corp., said they decided the Hilton Garden Inn brand would be a good fit for the 1930s art-deco building.
“(It’s) more extravagant than your mid-priced hotels, but yet still deliver a price that is attractive to travelers coming in,”
CSM Corp. will spend about $40 million to renovate the building, but Burda said the company seeks to keep the same historic aesthetic while still offering a hotel up to date with modern standards.
“Bringing forward that historic feel (that) you’re in a historic place, yet having a very design forward feel to it,” said Burda.
A previous attempt to make what was originally the Professional Building, which housed Valley National Bank for many years, into a hotel failed when the lending company Mortgages Ltd. went out of business in 2008.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas