Tempe, Ariz. — Friday marks the 20th anniversary of the day that Neil Giuliano became Mayor of Tempe.
The city will celebrate by naming a park after him.
Giuliano served as mayor from 1994 through 2004. He was Tempe’s youngest mayor and the first openly gay mayor of a major U.S. city.
Giuliano is credited with being a part of many landmark developments, including the opening of Tempe Town Lake, the groundbreaking of the Metro Light Rail and the Tempe Center for the Arts.
Starting Saturday, a park near the lake will be known as Neil G. Giuliano park.
“The park itself is the lakefront park area between the Mill Avenue bridges and stretching all of the way east to the Rural Road bridge,” Giuliano said.
He said that the park is a mile long, and connects the entire Rio Salado pathway and parkway.
“It’s going to be one where there’s a lot of joggers and families walking along,” Giuliano said. “There’s picnic spaces along there and green space. Of course, there’s the vista of the lake and the Papago buttes, which is pretty tremendous.”
Giuliano joked that there’s two reasons he’s happy about the honor of the park named after him.
“No. 1 is that I’m pleased because I am not dead, but they’re naming something after me,” said Giuliano. “No. 2, I have not donated $1 million.”
Giuliano said that people normally have to donate lots of money to have something names after them.
In all seriousness, Giuliano says that was just one part of a team of people that moved Tempe forward while he was in office.
“City council members, city staff members, people in the community. This was a real public-private partnership that has become a real success story,” Giuliano said.
Current Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell will take part in the ceremonies at the park, which begin Saturday morning at 9:30.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them