PHOENIX — An ex-Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office deputy was found dead in his west Phoenix home on Thursday, Sheriff Joe Arpaio said in a press conference.
Deputies were called again to the home of 40-year-old Ramon
Armendariz, who was involved in a barricade situation last week.
Deputies went to the home Thursday to serve a warrant on
Armendariz, but he refused to come to the door.
Television footage showed Armendariz’s house surrounded by MCSO personnel as
they assessed the situation. Arpaio said Armendariz was found hanged after an apparent suicide.
He was arrested on drug charges Monday but was out of jail on supervised
release with electronic monitoring.
KTVK-TV reports Armendariz was supposed to get an ankle monitor Wednesday but
didn’t show up.
He resigned from the sheriff’s office last Friday after nearly nine years with
Armendariz called 911 on May 1 and Phoenix police say they found him chasing a
phantom burglar while armed with a pepper ball gun.
Arpaio said Armendariz was cleared of any mental or medical problems during an evaluation last week.
KTAR’s Jeremy Foster and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains