PHOENIX — An ex-Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office deputy was found dead in his west Phoenix home on Thursday, Sheriff Joe Arpaio said in a press conference.
Deputies were called again to the home of 40-year-old Ramon
Armendariz, who was involved in a barricade situation last week.
Deputies went to the home Thursday to serve a warrant on
Armendariz, but he refused to come to the door.
Television footage showed Armendariz’s house surrounded by MCSO personnel as
they assessed the situation. Arpaio said Armendariz was found hanged after an apparent suicide.
He was arrested on drug charges Monday but was out of jail on supervised
release with electronic monitoring.
KTVK-TV reports Armendariz was supposed to get an ankle monitor Wednesday but
didn’t show up.
He resigned from the sheriff’s office last Friday after nearly nine years with
Armendariz called 911 on May 1 and Phoenix police say they found him chasing a
phantom burglar while armed with a pepper ball gun.
Arpaio said Armendariz was cleared of any mental or medical problems during an evaluation last week.
KTAR’s Jeremy Foster and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon