PHOENIX — An ex-Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office deputy was found dead in his west Phoenix home on Thursday, Sheriff Joe Arpaio said in a press conference.
Deputies were called again to the home of 40-year-old Ramon
Armendariz, who was involved in a barricade situation last week.
Deputies went to the home Thursday to serve a warrant on
Armendariz, but he refused to come to the door.
Television footage showed Armendariz’s house surrounded by MCSO personnel as
they assessed the situation. Arpaio said Armendariz was found hanged after an apparent suicide.
He was arrested on drug charges Monday but was out of jail on supervised
release with electronic monitoring.
KTVK-TV reports Armendariz was supposed to get an ankle monitor Wednesday but
didn’t show up.
He resigned from the sheriff’s office last Friday after nearly nine years with
Armendariz called 911 on May 1 and Phoenix police say they found him chasing a
phantom burglar while armed with a pepper ball gun.
Arpaio said Armendariz was cleared of any mental or medical problems during an evaluation last week.
KTAR’s Jeremy Foster and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.