The Phoenix City Council voted Wednesday night to slash the pay of police officers to help the city climb out of a $37 million budget deficit.
One council member who voted against the plan is pretty upset.
“Last night’s city council meeting was just the strangest meeting that I’ve seen in public life,” Phoenix Vice Mayor Jim Waring said of the 5-4 decision. “No member of this city council can ever make fun of the state legislature again.”
Waring is especially baffled by the actions of Councilwoman Kate Gallego.
“There was a motion last night that would have saved the police officers’ pay cut,” Waring said. “Councilman Sal DiCiccio and I voted for it. Curiously, the maker of the motion, Councilwoman Gallego, did not vote for it.
“I don’t know why you would make a motion, and then not vote for your own motion.”
Gallego has been unavailable for comment.
Waring says that instead of cutting police pay, it would have made more sense to slash funding for poetry programs, golf courses and travel.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them