The Phoenix City Council voted Wednesday night to slash the pay of police officers to help the city climb out of a $37 million budget deficit.
One council member who voted against the plan is pretty upset.
“Last night’s city council meeting was just the strangest meeting that I’ve seen in public life,” Phoenix Vice Mayor Jim Waring said of the 5-4 decision. “No member of this city council can ever make fun of the state legislature again.”
Waring is especially baffled by the actions of Councilwoman Kate Gallego.
“There was a motion last night that would have saved the police officers’ pay cut,” Waring said. “Councilman Sal DiCiccio and I voted for it. Curiously, the maker of the motion, Councilwoman Gallego, did not vote for it.
“I don’t know why you would make a motion, and then not vote for your own motion.”
Gallego has been unavailable for comment.
Waring says that instead of cutting police pay, it would have made more sense to slash funding for poetry programs, golf courses and travel.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas