PHOENIX — A comedy show will be held in Phoenix Saturday with the goal of both funding local efforts to fight commercial sexual exploitation and giving workers in the fight a night to laugh.
“People think comedy and this serious issue have no place together,” said pastor Brad Pellish. “I have had caregiver after caregiver tell me this is the night of the year for me and I laughed silly for two hours. This will help give them permission to take a break, come apart, to honor people who deserve to be recognized. That’s where Free to Laugh came from.”
Pellish said Free to Laugh, the name of the comedy show, will feature three comedians this year using family-friendly jokes.
The show is not free, but Pellish said the money will go to several good places.
“Tickets are $25 and still available at the Comerica Theatre box office and the profits are going to Phoenix Police Vice Squad to buy new computers,” he said. “We’ve used funds from previous events to pay for their wireless access so they can catch predators.”
Other benefactors are Moma’s House in the Valley, which serves adult survivors of commercial sexual exploitation, Catholic Charities Dignity House and Mending the Soul, which provides prevention and aftercare resources.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas