PHOENIX — A comedy show will be held in Phoenix Saturday with the goal of both funding local efforts to fight commercial sexual exploitation and giving workers in the fight a night to laugh.
“People think comedy and this serious issue have no place together,” said pastor Brad Pellish. “I have had caregiver after caregiver tell me this is the night of the year for me and I laughed silly for two hours. This will help give them permission to take a break, come apart, to honor people who deserve to be recognized. That’s where Free to Laugh came from.”
Pellish said Free to Laugh, the name of the comedy show, will feature three comedians this year using family-friendly jokes.
The show is not free, but Pellish said the money will go to several good places.
“Tickets are $25 and still available at the Comerica Theatre box office and the profits are going to Phoenix Police Vice Squad to buy new computers,” he said. “We’ve used funds from previous events to pay for their wireless access so they can catch predators.”
Other benefactors are Moma’s House in the Valley, which serves adult survivors of commercial sexual exploitation, Catholic Charities Dignity House and Mending the Soul, which provides prevention and aftercare resources.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets