PHOENIX — A portion of Interstate 10 will be closed in downtown Phoenix this weekend for a power project, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
Westbound I-10 will be closed between the Interstate 17 interchange and Seventh Avenue while eastbound I-10 will be closed between the I-17 stack and Loop 202/State Route 51 interchange from 2 a.m. Saturday to 11 p.m. Sunday.
The closure will affect traffic at Sky Harbor International Airport. Drivers are urged to plan for extra drive time in the area. To access the airport:
From the East Valley: Take westbound Loop 202 to the Sky Harbor exit.
From the West Valley: Avoid eastbound I-10 and use city streets.
From the North Valley: Use eastbound Loop 101 and SR 51 to approach the airport from the east.
From the South Valley: Use northbound State Route 143 to the Sky Harbor exit.
The roadway is being closed for an Arizona Public Service power line project. Three older power lines are being removed and six new ones will be installed. APS said the project will help meet higher demand for electricity and make service more reliable.
During the closure, ADOT crews will perform maintenance work in the I-10 tunnel.
ADOT said it chose this weekend to have the project done before high summer temperatures settle in. The Arizona Diamondbacks, a large source of weekend traffic in Phoenix, are out of town as well.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night