PHOENIX — A portion of Interstate 10 will be closed in downtown Phoenix this weekend for a power project, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
Westbound I-10 will be closed between the Interstate 17 interchange and Seventh Avenue while eastbound I-10 will be closed between the I-17 stack and Loop 202/State Route 51 interchange from 2 a.m. Saturday to 11 p.m. Sunday.
The closure will affect traffic at Sky Harbor International Airport. Drivers are urged to plan for extra drive time in the area. To access the airport:
From the East Valley: Take westbound Loop 202 to the Sky Harbor exit.
From the West Valley: Avoid eastbound I-10 and use city streets.
From the North Valley: Use eastbound Loop 101 and SR 51 to approach the airport from the east.
From the South Valley: Use northbound State Route 143 to the Sky Harbor exit.
The roadway is being closed for an Arizona Public Service power line project. Three older power lines are being removed and six new ones will be installed. APS said the project will help meet higher demand for electricity and make service more reliable.
During the closure, ADOT crews will perform maintenance work in the I-10 tunnel.
ADOT said it chose this weekend to have the project done before high summer temperatures settle in. The Arizona Diamondbacks, a large source of weekend traffic in Phoenix, are out of town as well.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.