PHOENIX — A portion of Interstate 10 will be closed in downtown Phoenix this weekend for a power project, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
Westbound I-10 will be closed between the Interstate 17 interchange and Seventh Avenue while eastbound I-10 will be closed between the I-17 stack and Loop 202/State Route 51 interchange from 2 a.m. Saturday to 11 p.m. Sunday.
The closure will affect traffic at Sky Harbor International Airport. Drivers are urged to plan for extra drive time in the area. To access the airport:
From the East Valley: Take westbound Loop 202 to the Sky Harbor exit.
From the West Valley: Avoid eastbound I-10 and use city streets.
From the North Valley: Use eastbound Loop 101 and SR 51 to approach the airport from the east.
From the South Valley: Use northbound State Route 143 to the Sky Harbor exit.
The roadway is being closed for an Arizona Public Service power line project. Three older power lines are being removed and six new ones will be installed. APS said the project will help meet higher demand for electricity and make service more reliable.
During the closure, ADOT crews will perform maintenance work in the I-10 tunnel.
ADOT said it chose this weekend to have the project done before high summer temperatures settle in. The Arizona Diamondbacks, a large source of weekend traffic in Phoenix, are out of town as well.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development