PHOENIX — A portion of Interstate 10 will be closed in downtown Phoenix this weekend for a power project, the Arizona Department of Transportation said.
Westbound I-10 will be closed between the Interstate 17 interchange and Seventh Avenue while eastbound I-10 will be closed between the I-17 stack and Loop 202/State Route 51 interchange from 2 a.m. Saturday to 11 p.m. Sunday.
The closure will affect traffic at Sky Harbor International Airport. Drivers are urged to plan for extra drive time in the area. To access the airport:
From the East Valley: Take westbound Loop 202 to the Sky Harbor exit.
From the West Valley: Avoid eastbound I-10 and use city streets.
From the North Valley: Use eastbound Loop 101 and SR 51 to approach the airport from the east.
From the South Valley: Use northbound State Route 143 to the Sky Harbor exit.
The roadway is being closed for an Arizona Public Service power line project. Three older power lines are being removed and six new ones will be installed. APS said the project will help meet higher demand for electricity and make service more reliable.
During the closure, ADOT crews will perform maintenance work in the I-10 tunnel.
ADOT said it chose this weekend to have the project done before high summer temperatures settle in. The Arizona Diamondbacks, a large source of weekend traffic in Phoenix, are out of town as well.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets