The House Veterans Affairs Committee will subpoena beleaguered VA Secretary Eric Shinseki.
CNN reported Thursday that the subpoena is seeking more information, specifically e-mails, about
delays in the VA health system in Phoenix, that possibly led to the deaths of up to 40 patients.
In the e-mails Shinseki and other VA officials may have discussed
destruction of what the committee called “an alternate or interim waitlist”
for veterans seeking care in Phoenix.
Patient care has also come under fire in Colorado.
Three officials at the Phoenix headquarters were placed on leave a week ago while allegations of corruption are investigated.
Director Sharon Helman, associate Lance Robinson and an unnamed employee were removed temporarily from their positions.
Shinseki has said he will not resign. He answered in a letter Wednesday that VA employees used “transitory or
interim notes … for reference purposes” as they were moving information to
the new electronic waitlist system. Regulations of the National Archives and
Records Administration require that such notes be destroyed when they are no
longer needed for reference, the VA said.
Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier