PHOENIX — Almost 2,400 Phoenix Police officers will be taking a 2.5 percent pay cut over the next two years to help the city climb out of a $37 million budget hole.
The cut was approved by the Phoenix City Council at Wednesday night’s meeting. Other city employee unions had already been subjected to pay cuts.
“We’re asking employees to reduce compensation a little to preserve jobs and
services,” City Manager Ed Zuercher said. The council gave Zuercher a $56,000 pay boost last month just weeks after he took the job.
“I can’t put into words how disgusted I am right now with the current state of the city government,” said Joe Clure, head of the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association.
“The VA has nothing on the City of Phoenix right now. The Phoenix Police force is beleaguered. They’re worn out, they’re tired and they have given enough. I can’t begin to explain the frustration level for officers.”
Dozens of officers flooded the hearing that went late into the night. Clure predicted many will look for work with other departments, adding that the force is already down 520 officers.
Mayor Greg Stanton, council members Kate Gallego, Thelda Williams, Laura Pastor and Daniel Valenzuela provided the votes in favor. Bill Gates, Sal DiCiccio, Jim Waring and Michael Nowakowski voted no.
Clure said the union will look at options, including one that would put the decision before voters with a referendum in the fall.
Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again