PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Transportation has applied for $70 million in federal grants.
ADOT Spokesman Dustin Kreugel said the grants are needed to fund a trio of projects, specifically “three projects that would help interstate commerce, and particularly trade with Mexico.”
One project is more expensive than the other two combined.
“We’re applying for $35 million for an environmental impact study for Interstate 11,” said Kruegel. “Currently, we are wrapping up an Interstate 11 conceptive report study, but this will be a much more extensive study that will look at the proposed Interstate 11 corridor that will potentially run from Nogales to Las Vegas and potentially all of the way up to Canada.”
The state also wants $24.5 million to replace a bridge on Interstate 15 in the northwest corner of the state and $9.5 million to improve the Ehrenberg Port of Entry on Interstate 10 near the Arizona-California border.
“If we get funding, it will put all of these projects on the fast track and we’ll be able to start them within the next year,” Kruegel said.
He said that ADOT expects to hear an answer on its requests sometime later this year.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier