GLENDALE, Ariz. — Police took to the Glendale Foothills Library Wednesday to encourage parents to talk with their kids about safety as part of “Take 25,” a child safety campaign.
“Take 25 is about parents taking 25 minutes out of their day to talk to their children about safety,” said Glendale Police Detective Sgt. Mathew Beunler.
At Wednesday’s event, parents received tips on how to discuss safety issues with their kids, while children were fingerprinted and met McGruff the Crime Dog.
Beunler said that too often, parents leave it to police officers to teach their kids about safety. But police want to make sure that kids are comfortable with talking with their parents about safety concerns that may come up.
“Somebody is approaching them after school or they’re being messaged by somebody on the Internet,” he said. “We want the children to feel comfortable going to the parent and having those safety conversations with them.”
Take 25 is a national child safety public awareness campaign created by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. It takes place in May because May 25 is National Missing Children’s Day, which was first established by President Ronald Reagan in 1983.
The NCMEC said teaching children about safety saves lives. In 84 percent of cases, children use what they’ve been taught to escape potential abductions.
For more information, click here.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food