PHOENIX — The Obama administration released an updated federal scientific report Tuesday showing how climate change had touched every part of the country.
Kathy Jacobs, professor of soil, water and environmental science at the University of Arizona, has been working with the White House for four years on the study and said the effects of climate change have been felt for years. It will only worsen if measures aren’t taken soon, she said.
Arizona’s wildfires have become progressively worse in the past few years, with nine of the 10 largest ever occurring since 2002.
“We can reduce the emissions with more efficient energy use in our homes,” Jacobs said. “We can change the trajectory we’re on. It will continue to warm up to some degree but the future will look very different if we start making investments now.
Jacobs said the climate assessment pointed out the expected impacts and some that were unexpected.
“It’s very clear the impacts are already occurring in the Southwest. We’re seeing larger wildfires, more drought and issues with human health,” she said. “Water is a major problem for the Southwest and in the context of climate change it’s a problem in supply and the increased demand. Agriculture is being impacted not just as far as water but the higher temperatures.”
On the other hand, Arizona may be ahead of the curve when it comes to banking water.
“Arizona has a very sophisticated water-management system with a lot of comprehensive water sources. That being said, the impacts to the Colorado River system are substantial and expected to increase,” Jacobs said.
Climate-change skeptics were quick to paint the study as alarmist.
“This report was not written by the government. It was written by scientists and experts,’ Jacobs said. “This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories, it’s about what people are observing. This is about science, not politics.”
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy