PHOENIX — The mix of drones and wilderness has seen its time together come to an end.
At least that’s what national parks officials are hoping, banning the flying machines from its land. The drones that visitors have been using to get a bird’s-eye view of parks have been disrupting the peace and quiet of other visitors and animals’ sensibilities.
“Most animals are very sensitive to this noise,” Kevin Dahl with the National Parks Conservation Association said. “And the animals are already stressed enough by the drought.”
Violators using drones in the parks could be subject to up to six months in prison and a $5,000 fine.
Zion National Park officials in Utah said a drone has been hovering above the park’s bighorn sheep. Last month park volunteers saw a herd of sheep scatter after being buzzed by an unmanned aerial vehicle, separating the animals from their young.
Yosemite National Park said in a press release that the California park has experienced an increase in visitors using drones over the last few years.
Drones have been spotted filming climbers ascending routes, filming views above treetops, and getting aerial footage of the park.
Grand Canyon National Park had no comment.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns