PHOENIX — The mix of drones and wilderness has seen its time together come to an end.
At least that’s what national parks officials are hoping, banning the flying machines from its land. The drones that visitors have been using to get a bird’s-eye view of parks have been disrupting the peace and quiet of other visitors and animals’ sensibilities.
“Most animals are very sensitive to this noise,” Kevin Dahl with the National Parks Conservation Association said. “And the animals are already stressed enough by the drought.”
Violators using drones in the parks could be subject to up to six months in prison and a $5,000 fine.
Zion National Park officials in Utah said a drone has been hovering above the park’s bighorn sheep. Last month park volunteers saw a herd of sheep scatter after being buzzed by an unmanned aerial vehicle, separating the animals from their young.
Yosemite National Park said in a press release that the California park has experienced an increase in visitors using drones over the last few years.
Drones have been spotted filming climbers ascending routes, filming views above treetops, and getting aerial footage of the park.
Grand Canyon National Park had no comment.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets