PHOENIX — A Grammy-nominated rock star will direct a new program at Grand Canyon University in the fall.
“(The program will) give students, especially those that have a passion for worship and music, a place to come and prepare what they’re doing and to get a bachelor’s [degree] in the meantime,” said Bart Millard, lead singer of Christian rock band MercyMe.
Millard will serve as the new director for GCU’s Center for Worship Arts program in the university’s College of Theology.
“There are a lot of places trying to do similar stuff but more or less for a certificate,” he said. “It’s not really a real degree.”
The worship-meets-the-arts program will make worship music an academic focus for students. The program’s first freshman class begins this fall.
For more information on the program, visit www.GCU.edu.
MercyMe’s new album, “Welcome to the New,” recently debuted at No. 4 on Billboard.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier