PHOENIX — America’s Friendliest Airport just got some official recognition.
Travel + Leisure magazine named the 20 “Best Airport Security Checkpoints,” and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport chimed in at No. 18.
Despite being 78 years old, officials have made sure to keep the airport a modern hub that has grown with the population, handling over 40 million passengers in 2012 alone.
Improvements since 2005 include shifting security lanes to allow for better traffic flow in Terminal 2, the addition of four new security lanes in Terminal 3, and a total of 19 new security lanes and a new checkpoint in Terminal 4, which handles 80 percent of the airport’s travelers.
Quite surprisingly, the Indianapolis International Airport in Indiana came in first place. T+L awarded it the honor because it was built after Sept 11, 2011, meaning it is “newer and better designed than most,” regarding security challenges. It also will be one of the two airports in the nation to offer enrollment in a TSA PreCheck program.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns