PHOENIX — America’s Friendliest Airport just got some official recognition.
Travel + Leisure magazine named the 20 “Best Airport Security Checkpoints,” and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport chimed in at No. 18.
Despite being 78 years old, officials have made sure to keep the airport a modern hub that has grown with the population, handling over 40 million passengers in 2012 alone.
Improvements since 2005 include shifting security lanes to allow for better traffic flow in Terminal 2, the addition of four new security lanes in Terminal 3, and a total of 19 new security lanes and a new checkpoint in Terminal 4, which handles 80 percent of the airport’s travelers.
Quite surprisingly, the Indianapolis International Airport in Indiana came in first place. T+L awarded it the honor because it was built after Sept 11, 2011, meaning it is “newer and better designed than most,” regarding security challenges. It also will be one of the two airports in the nation to offer enrollment in a TSA PreCheck program.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon