PHOENIX — The high winds in Arizona made things tough on allergy sufferers Tuesday.
Dr. Tara Carr, with the Sinus and Allergy Clinic at the University of Arizona Health Network in Tucson, said she’s been swamped with patients.
“I tend not to say no to people who want to come in,” she said. “I’ve been adding on patients every day who are not feeling well or want to be seen sooner than the next available appointment.”
Carr suggested that those with allergy problems stay indoors and make sure the air conditioning is on and the filters are clean. She said that relief may also be as close as your nearest drug store.
“There are over-the-counter medications that can be helpful for patients with milder allergy symptoms,” Carr said. “There are over-the-counter antihistamine pills, some of which are non-sedating and can last for 24 hours. There are decongestant pills that patients can take for nasal congestion. There’s an over-the-counter nasal steroid spray called Nasacort that can be helpful if patients are using it regularly.”
If those don’t help, Carr said your doctor may be able to give a prescription or an allergy shot to help alleviate symptoms. You should also see an allergy specialist if you don’t know what it is that you’re allergic to.
May is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier