PHOENIX — The high winds in Arizona made things tough on allergy sufferers Tuesday.
Dr. Tara Carr, with the Sinus and Allergy Clinic at the University of Arizona Health Network in Tucson, said she’s been swamped with patients.
“I tend not to say no to people who want to come in,” she said. “I’ve been adding on patients every day who are not feeling well or want to be seen sooner than the next available appointment.”
Carr suggested that those with allergy problems stay indoors and make sure the air conditioning is on and the filters are clean. She said that relief may also be as close as your nearest drug store.
“There are over-the-counter medications that can be helpful for patients with milder allergy symptoms,” Carr said. “There are over-the-counter antihistamine pills, some of which are non-sedating and can last for 24 hours. There are decongestant pills that patients can take for nasal congestion. There’s an over-the-counter nasal steroid spray called Nasacort that can be helpful if patients are using it regularly.”
If those don’t help, Carr said your doctor may be able to give a prescription or an allergy shot to help alleviate symptoms. You should also see an allergy specialist if you don’t know what it is that you’re allergic to.
May is National Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food