PHOENIX — Just days after adjourning the legislative session, Arizona lawmakers will return to the State Capitol for a special session. They just don’t know when.
When the regular session, ended April 14, Gov. Jan Brewer told they’d be back to deal with the state’s child welfare agency.
Arizona House Speaker Andy Tobin said he believed the callback would happen within the next month. Tobin wants the agency to be separated from the Department of Economic Security and that isn’t a simple task.
“How many personnel would the stand-alone agency need, how to make that efficient and then we’ll need to deal with a budget,” Tobin said. “In theory, a special session takes about three days. The final report hasn’t been completed and we want to make sure legislative members read the report and hopefully before we come into a special session.”
Since Brewer made her announcement in her State of the State speech that she would seek to make the child-welfare office a stand-alone agency, House staff and several legislators have been meeting with her on a weekly basis.
According to Tobin’s office, the group’s goal has been to draft legislation that will create a stand-alone agency and lay the groundwork for reforms that will lead to greater transparency and accountability, and guarantee that every report of child abuse is investigated.
Before the governor calls all legislators back for the special session, House leaders have been soliciting members for feedback so that the draft legislation will have the highest chance of success when it is presented to the entire chamber.
Lawmakers were also called into a special session last year over Medicaid expansion.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths