PHOENIX — A Valley Realtor said millennials are good and bad for the local housing market.
Home prices kept climbing last year and a Wall Street Journal report based on Deutsche Bank statistics said renting a home in the Valley has become cheaper than buying a home.
Austin, Texas and Sacramento, Calif., join Phoenix in that category. Realtor Diane Brennan, host of “That Real Estate Show” on 92.3 KTAR, disagrees with the notion metro Phoenix is a renter’s market.
“Rents will keep going up, which will only make owning a home more affordable and you get the bonus of building equity in your own home,” Brennan said.
But she also said the millennial generation was having an impact.
“They’re smart, they don’t want to take on more debt on top of student loans. They are one of the most educated generations that we’ve seen,” Brennan said. “A lot of them aren’t in the jobs they want so they want to be mobile if the get that dream job in San Francisco or wherever. They want to be able to pack up and move.”
Brennan said millennials may not be buying homes but they have reignited the downtown Phoenix area.
“They don’t want to live in the suburbs, they want to live in the urban area. That will help revitalize businesses downtown.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night