PHOENIX — A Valley Realtor said millennials are good and bad for the local housing market.
Home prices kept climbing last year and a Wall Street Journal report based on Deutsche Bank statistics said renting a home in the Valley has become cheaper than buying a home.
Austin, Texas and Sacramento, Calif., join Phoenix in that category. Realtor Diane Brennan, host of “That Real Estate Show” on 92.3 KTAR, disagrees with the notion metro Phoenix is a renter’s market.
“Rents will keep going up, which will only make owning a home more affordable and you get the bonus of building equity in your own home,” Brennan said.
But she also said the millennial generation was having an impact.
“They’re smart, they don’t want to take on more debt on top of student loans. They are one of the most educated generations that we’ve seen,” Brennan said. “A lot of them aren’t in the jobs they want so they want to be mobile if the get that dream job in San Francisco or wherever. They want to be able to pack up and move.”
Brennan said millennials may not be buying homes but they have reignited the downtown Phoenix area.
“They don’t want to live in the suburbs, they want to live in the urban area. That will help revitalize businesses downtown.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food