PHOENIX — A Valley Realtor said millennials are good and bad for the local housing market.
Home prices kept climbing last year and a Wall Street Journal report based on Deutsche Bank statistics said renting a home in the Valley has become cheaper than buying a home.
Austin, Texas and Sacramento, Calif., join Phoenix in that category. Realtor Diane Brennan, host of “That Real Estate Show” on 92.3 KTAR, disagrees with the notion metro Phoenix is a renter’s market.
“Rents will keep going up, which will only make owning a home more affordable and you get the bonus of building equity in your own home,” Brennan said.
But she also said the millennial generation was having an impact.
“They’re smart, they don’t want to take on more debt on top of student loans. They are one of the most educated generations that we’ve seen,” Brennan said. “A lot of them aren’t in the jobs they want so they want to be mobile if the get that dream job in San Francisco or wherever. They want to be able to pack up and move.”
Brennan said millennials may not be buying homes but they have reignited the downtown Phoenix area.
“They don’t want to live in the suburbs, they want to live in the urban area. That will help revitalize businesses downtown.”
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development