PHOENIX — Summertime scammers should have Valley residents on full alarm.
Not all door-to-door salespeople trying to set you up with a home security system are really trying to protect your best interests.
“They should have an Arizona state license from the Arizona State Board of Registration,” said Susan Brenton of the Arizona Alarm Association (AzAA). “If they don’t, that’s a red flag.”
Brenton said you also need to make sure they’re a credible company, and that they don’t try to rush you into signing a contract.
She also warned against anyone who tries to claim your current alarm company isn’t around anymore.
“There are some (people) who come around and say, ‘I saw your sign and we happened to purchase your alarm company, and we’d like to upgrade your alarm.'”
If that happens, she said to close the door and call your current security provider to verify.
Brenton said legitimate representatives will not engage in deceptive, misleading, unlawful or unethical business practices.
Click here for more scammer tips from the AzAA.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain