PHOENIX — Summertime scammers should have Valley residents on full alarm.
Not all door-to-door salespeople trying to set you up with a home security system are really trying to protect your best interests.
“They should have an Arizona state license from the Arizona State Board of Registration,” said Susan Brenton of the Arizona Alarm Association (AzAA). “If they don’t, that’s a red flag.”
Brenton said you also need to make sure they’re a credible company, and that they don’t try to rush you into signing a contract.
She also warned against anyone who tries to claim your current alarm company isn’t around anymore.
“There are some (people) who come around and say, ‘I saw your sign and we happened to purchase your alarm company, and we’d like to upgrade your alarm.'”
If that happens, she said to close the door and call your current security provider to verify.
Brenton said legitimate representatives will not engage in deceptive, misleading, unlawful or unethical business practices.
Click here for more scammer tips from the AzAA.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.