PHOENIX — Summertime scammers should have Valley residents on full alarm.
Not all door-to-door salespeople trying to set you up with a home security system are really trying to protect your best interests.
“They should have an Arizona state license from the Arizona State Board of Registration,” said Susan Brenton of the Arizona Alarm Association (AzAA). “If they don’t, that’s a red flag.”
Brenton said you also need to make sure they’re a credible company, and that they don’t try to rush you into signing a contract.
She also warned against anyone who tries to claim your current alarm company isn’t around anymore.
“There are some (people) who come around and say, ‘I saw your sign and we happened to purchase your alarm company, and we’d like to upgrade your alarm.'”
If that happens, she said to close the door and call your current security provider to verify.
Brenton said legitimate representatives will not engage in deceptive, misleading, unlawful or unethical business practices.
Click here for more scammer tips from the AzAA.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development