PHOENIX — For the second straight year, Gilbert resident Trevor Davenport is doing something special for a dear friend who recently lost his life.
On Saturday, May 17, Davenport, along with anyone who wants to join him, is hosting the Hom 100, a 100-mile race in memory of his friend Tony Hom, who died last September from ALS, otherwise known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.
“It allows both friends and family that knew Tony to come out and ride their bikes and run or walk … and remember Tony as best as they can,” said Davenport.
Davenport said he hopes to raise anywhere from $20,000 to $30,000 dollars leading up to an ALS Assocation walk later this year. He said last year’s Hom 100 raised around $8,000.
The race is set to begin at 8 a.m. in the Freeman Farms neighborhood near Greenfield and Ocotillo roads in Gilbert, and Davenport said he’ll run the entire 100-mile course.
“I usually go nonstop for 28 to 30 hours. For the most part, it’s through the night.”
He said he’ll stop to eat and drink along the way, but it’s all about raising awareness of ALS, which remains incurable.
Hom left behind a wife of 25 years and three children. He was first diagnosed with ALS in the summer of 2012, losing his battle to the disease just over a year later.
To find out more about the race or to make a donation, click here.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food