PHOENIX — For the second straight year, Gilbert resident Trevor Davenport is doing something special for a dear friend who recently lost his life.
On Saturday, May 17, Davenport, along with anyone who wants to join him, is hosting the Hom 100, a 100-mile race in memory of his friend Tony Hom, who died last September from ALS, otherwise known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.
“It allows both friends and family that knew Tony to come out and ride their bikes and run or walk … and remember Tony as best as they can,” said Davenport.
Davenport said he hopes to raise anywhere from $20,000 to $30,000 dollars leading up to an ALS Assocation walk later this year. He said last year’s Hom 100 raised around $8,000.
The race is set to begin at 8 a.m. in the Freeman Farms neighborhood near Greenfield and Ocotillo roads in Gilbert, and Davenport said he’ll run the entire 100-mile course.
“I usually go nonstop for 28 to 30 hours. For the most part, it’s through the night.”
He said he’ll stop to eat and drink along the way, but it’s all about raising awareness of ALS, which remains incurable.
Hom left behind a wife of 25 years and three children. He was first diagnosed with ALS in the summer of 2012, losing his battle to the disease just over a year later.
To find out more about the race or to make a donation, click here.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night