PHOENIX — For the second straight year, Gilbert resident Trevor Davenport is doing something special for a dear friend who recently lost his life.
On Saturday, May 17, Davenport, along with anyone who wants to join him, is hosting the Hom 100, a 100-mile race in memory of his friend Tony Hom, who died last September from ALS, otherwise known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.
“It allows both friends and family that knew Tony to come out and ride their bikes and run or walk … and remember Tony as best as they can,” said Davenport.
Davenport said he hopes to raise anywhere from $20,000 to $30,000 dollars leading up to an ALS Assocation walk later this year. He said last year’s Hom 100 raised around $8,000.
The race is set to begin at 8 a.m. in the Freeman Farms neighborhood near Greenfield and Ocotillo roads in Gilbert, and Davenport said he’ll run the entire 100-mile course.
“I usually go nonstop for 28 to 30 hours. For the most part, it’s through the night.”
He said he’ll stop to eat and drink along the way, but it’s all about raising awareness of ALS, which remains incurable.
Hom left behind a wife of 25 years and three children. He was first diagnosed with ALS in the summer of 2012, losing his battle to the disease just over a year later.
To find out more about the race or to make a donation, click here.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match