PHOENIX — Chandler police were involved in a shooting and are hunting for the assailant.
Authorities said 25-year-old David Javier Gonzales is the same suspect who caused five Chandler schools to go on lockdown Monday morning.
As of Tuesday morning, he was still on the loose.
The incident occurred at an apartment complex at 1856 W. Maggio Way on Monday afternoon near the corner of Chandler Boulevard and Dobson Road. Gunfire was exchanged. No officer was injured, and authorities said Gonzales may have been hit.
After the shootout, police said, Gonzales stole a golf cart and drove to
another apartment complex, where he carjacked a vehicle from an elderly woman.
The vehicle was later found abandoned several miles away.
Gonzales is 5-foot-11 and weighs 170 pounds. He was last seen wearing a white tank top, black basketball shorts and black and white Air Jordan-type tennis shoes.
Earlier Monday, witnesses reported seeing a man get out of a van in a trailer park with either
a rifle or a shotgun in the area of the schools about 8:30 a.m.
Police said there was no indication that the person with the gun was threatening
Police SWAT teams were called out, but there was no sign of the man and the
lockdowns were lifted around noon.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns