PHOENIX — Chandler police were involved in a shooting and are hunting for the assailant.
Authorities said 25-year-old David Javier Gonzales is the same suspect who caused five Chandler schools to go on lockdown Monday morning.
As of Tuesday morning, he was still on the loose.
The incident occurred at an apartment complex at 1856 W. Maggio Way on Monday afternoon near the corner of Chandler Boulevard and Dobson Road. Gunfire was exchanged. No officer was injured, and authorities said Gonzales may have been hit.
After the shootout, police said, Gonzales stole a golf cart and drove to
another apartment complex, where he carjacked a vehicle from an elderly woman.
The vehicle was later found abandoned several miles away.
Gonzales is 5-foot-11 and weighs 170 pounds. He was last seen wearing a white tank top, black basketball shorts and black and white Air Jordan-type tennis shoes.
Earlier Monday, witnesses reported seeing a man get out of a van in a trailer park with either
a rifle or a shotgun in the area of the schools about 8:30 a.m.
Police said there was no indication that the person with the gun was threatening
Police SWAT teams were called out, but there was no sign of the man and the
lockdowns were lifted around noon.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets