PHOENIX — Chandler police were involved in a shooting and are hunting for the assailant.
Authorities said 25-year-old David Javier Gonzales is the same suspect who caused five Chandler schools to go on lockdown Monday morning.
As of Tuesday morning, he was still on the loose.
The incident occurred at an apartment complex at 1856 W. Maggio Way on Monday afternoon near the corner of Chandler Boulevard and Dobson Road. Gunfire was exchanged. No officer was injured, and authorities said Gonzales may have been hit.
After the shootout, police said, Gonzales stole a golf cart and drove to
another apartment complex, where he carjacked a vehicle from an elderly woman.
The vehicle was later found abandoned several miles away.
Gonzales is 5-foot-11 and weighs 170 pounds. He was last seen wearing a white tank top, black basketball shorts and black and white Air Jordan-type tennis shoes.
Earlier Monday, witnesses reported seeing a man get out of a van in a trailer park with either
a rifle or a shotgun in the area of the schools about 8:30 a.m.
Police said there was no indication that the person with the gun was threatening
Police SWAT teams were called out, but there was no sign of the man and the
lockdowns were lifted around noon.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night