PHOENIX — Chandler police were involved in a shooting and are hunting for the assailant.
Authorities said 25-year-old David Javier Gonzales is the same suspect who caused five Chandler schools to go on lockdown Monday morning.
As of Tuesday morning, he was still on the loose.
The incident occurred at an apartment complex at 1856 W. Maggio Way on Monday afternoon near the corner of Chandler Boulevard and Dobson Road. Gunfire was exchanged. No officer was injured, and authorities said Gonzales may have been hit.
After the shootout, police said, Gonzales stole a golf cart and drove to
another apartment complex, where he carjacked a vehicle from an elderly woman.
The vehicle was later found abandoned several miles away.
Gonzales is 5-foot-11 and weighs 170 pounds. He was last seen wearing a white tank top, black basketball shorts and black and white Air Jordan-type tennis shoes.
Earlier Monday, witnesses reported seeing a man get out of a van in a trailer park with either
a rifle or a shotgun in the area of the schools about 8:30 a.m.
Police said there was no indication that the person with the gun was threatening
Police SWAT teams were called out, but there was no sign of the man and the
lockdowns were lifted around noon.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development