PHOENIX — For the past seven years, city of Surprise employees have gone without raises.
Now, city leaders say they want to change that, but not everyone’s happy with the process.
Julie Moore, secretary for the Northwest Firefighters Association, said public safety unions reached a deal with the city manager to get all the raises this year, but now some council members are considering spreading out the money over two or three years.
“It really just creates distrust and morale factors,” Moore said.
Moore said firefighters who have spent seven years on the job are still getting entry level pay. She worries Surprise will lose experienced firefighters to other cities.
“Back in the late ’80s, early ’90s, Glendale lost 22 firefighter-paramedics to the City of Phoenix due to frozen pay issues,” she said.
A spokesperson for the City of Surprise said it is premature to discuss the issue. Council members could approve a tentative budget during Tuesday’s meeting. Moore said she expects many police and firefighters to be in attendance.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development