PHOENIX — For the past seven years, city of Surprise employees have gone without raises.
Now, city leaders say they want to change that, but not everyone’s happy with the process.
Julie Moore, secretary for the Northwest Firefighters Association, said public safety unions reached a deal with the city manager to get all the raises this year, but now some council members are considering spreading out the money over two or three years.
“It really just creates distrust and morale factors,” Moore said.
Moore said firefighters who have spent seven years on the job are still getting entry level pay. She worries Surprise will lose experienced firefighters to other cities.
“Back in the late ’80s, early ’90s, Glendale lost 22 firefighter-paramedics to the City of Phoenix due to frozen pay issues,” she said.
A spokesperson for the City of Surprise said it is premature to discuss the issue. Council members could approve a tentative budget during Tuesday’s meeting. Moore said she expects many police and firefighters to be in attendance.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck