PHOENIX — Council members are scheduled to vote Monday on whether or not to purchase 300 on-officer camera systems.
The cameras are worn on glasses or over ears to record interactions from the officers’ perspectives. After a one-year pilot program, Mesa found that officers wearing the cameras had 40 percent fewer complaints against them. When it came to excessive force allegations, the department reported a 75 percent drop.
According to a city council report, the cameras accurately address complaints of misconduct and drastically reduce false complaints and civil liability. The $1.5 million contract with Scottsdale-based Taser International would run from 2014-2018. The contract would distribute 300 body camera systems over the next five years. If approved, all patrol and motorcycle officers will be wearing the cameras by 2017.
During Monday’s council meeting, members will also vote on a controversial rezoning proposal. The council is being asked to change the zoning of vacant property at 6350 E. Main Street from limited commercial to limited industrial. The change could attract businesses — including a medical marijuana dispensary. Because so many nearby property owners have protested, city rules require three-quarters of council members to approve the change.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon