PHOENIX — Gone but not forgotten, the Arizona Department of Public Safety plans to honor all those who have died in the line of duty.
DPS, Gov. Jan Brewer and the Arizona Highway Patrol Association will honor all 29 DPS officers who have died by remembering their lives, careers and sacrifices Monday morning on the DPS memorial lawn at 2102 W. Encanto Blvd. in Phoenix.
The ceremony will also include the unveiling of a plaque for fallen DPS Officer Timothy Huffman, 47, who was killed May 6, 2013 by a distracted driver, on the same day as last year’s annual DPS memorial service.
Huffman was a part of the DPS Highway Patrol and based in Yuma when he was struck by a tanker truck that failed to yield to a lane closure due to an injury collision. Huffman was seated in his patrol car, writing a report when the crash happened.
Of the 29 officers killed, 17 were due to traffic related incidents, eight were murdered, two died in a helicopter crash, one in a helicopter accident and one killed in a train explosion.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas