PHOENIX — Gone but not forgotten, the Arizona Department of Public Safety plans to honor all those who have died in the line of duty.
DPS, Gov. Jan Brewer and the Arizona Highway Patrol Association will honor all 29 DPS officers who have died by remembering their lives, careers and sacrifices Monday morning on the DPS memorial lawn at 2102 W. Encanto Blvd. in Phoenix.
The ceremony will also include the unveiling of a plaque for fallen DPS Officer Timothy Huffman, 47, who was killed May 6, 2013 by a distracted driver, on the same day as last year’s annual DPS memorial service.
Huffman was a part of the DPS Highway Patrol and based in Yuma when he was struck by a tanker truck that failed to yield to a lane closure due to an injury collision. Huffman was seated in his patrol car, writing a report when the crash happened.
Of the 29 officers killed, 17 were due to traffic related incidents, eight were murdered, two died in a helicopter crash, one in a helicopter accident and one killed in a train explosion.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy