PHOENIX — As the Arizona Public Service Co. works on a power line installation project May 10-11, highway traffic in downtown Phoenix will be heavily impacted.
The Arizona Department of Transportation said westbound Interstate 10 will be closed between the Interstate 17 split and 7th Avenue, while eastbound I-10 will close between the stack interchange and the Loop 202-State Route 51 interchange from 2 a.m. Saturday to 11 p.m. Sunday.
The westbound Loop 202 and southbound SR 51 ramps to westbound I-10 will also be closed, ADOT said, adding that the westbound Loop 202 ramp to eastbound I-10 and northbound SR 51 will be open but are expected to have heavy congestion.
APS said the project will see a second circuit added to the 7th Street power line system to meet higher electrical demands in the area.
ADOT said I-10 traffic approaching either end of the closure will be diverted onto the I-17 south and west of downtown Phoenix. Traffic will certainly get backed up approaching the closure, so ADOT recommends that drivers avoid the area if possible and use alternate routes.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.