Media website Vox has mapped out data using an Urban Institute report on Affordable Care Act numbers by state, and Arizona is fairing about in the middle when it comes to new health insurance sign-ups.
Vox reports the nation beat enrollment projections by more than 15 percent, with some states — Vermont, Florida and California — wildly surpassing predictions, and others — South Dakota, Hawaii and Massachusetts — falling well short of the mark.
It’s a similar story for Obamacare’s target populations: Individual market shoppers and uninsured people who don’t qualify for employer-based insurance or public health plans. The nation, overall, reached about a quarter of this population. But Massachusetts reached only 8 percent, while Vermont netted 73.5 percent.
Vox says state-based insurance exchanges seemed to have fared better than the federal exchanges, “which were run by the federal government after states refused to pick up the task.” However, some states — such as Oregon — dropped the ball when running their own exchanges.
The numbers also don’t tell us the health of the new signups and how many people have actually paid their first premiums, which is the final step to obtaining insurance. Both those factors are important: healthier insurance pools can keep health-care spending and premiums down, and signups obviously don’t matter if they don’t translate to purchased insurance policies.
The Urban Institute report used for Vox’s graphics shows Arizona has reached just over 120,000 sign-ups under the ACA — which accounts for exactly 75 percent of 2014 end-of-year projection. A chart in the report shows the state got a huge push in sign-ups from March 1 to April 19 — as people likely added a plan before filing their taxes.
Out of the total demographic that the ACA is trying to reach in Arizona, 21.5 percent of those individuals have signed up for an Obamacare plan, the report shows.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas